China Journalist Visa

Journalist Visa for more than 180 days is J1 and J2 for less than 180 days


1 - Passport - Submit the actual passport and make sure It has empty visa pages and will not expire within 6 months from date of departure.

2 - One color passport size photo - Must be taken within the last 6 months. See link for guidelines:

3 - China Visa Application - The PDF form can be downloaded below under "How to fill out China Visa Application".

4 - VISA Notification Letter - Issued by the Information Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China and an official letter issued by the media organization for which the journalist works.

Applicants should contact the press office of the Chinese Embassy/Consulate General in advance and complete relevant formalities.

5 - Copy of driver's license or state issued ID

6 - Photocopy of previous Chinese passports or Chinese visas (only applicable to individuals born in China or previously having Chinese citizenship).

7 - If you have obtained Chinese visas before and want to apply for a Chinese visa with a renewed foreign passport that does not contain any Chinese visa, you should present the photocopy of the previous passport's data page and the photo page if it is separate, as well as the previous Chinese visa page. (If your name on the current passport differs from that on the previous one, you must provide an official document of name change.)  

8 - Applicants born in China must fill out the GIVEN NAME and PREVIOUS NAME in Chinese characters on the application. 

How to fill out the China Visa Application

Please download the PDF file below:

Download China Visa Application Form


The application must be TYPED using CAPITAL LETTERS.

All fields must be filled out.

Below are the steps to fill out the application:

1.1 Name of the applicant has to match exactly the name on the passport for First, Middle (if any) and Last.

1.2 If the applicant was born in China, he or she needs to write his or her name in Chinese, otherwise write "N/A".

1.3 If the applicant is female, married and changed her name to the married name, she will need to write maiden name or previous last names.

1.4 Check one of the boxes.

1.5 The format for the Chinese application is year, month, day e.g., 1992/12/25.

1.6 Write your nationality in the field e.g., "USA".

1.7 If applicant has a former nationality please type it in, otherwise write "N/A".

1.8 City, State, Country of Birth.

1.9 Driver's license or state issued ID number if applicant is an adult and has such ID.

1.10 In most instances the applicant has an Ordinary Passport.

1.11, 1.12, 1.14 Passport information as shown in the data page.

1.13 If the applicant is a U.S. passport holder write "USA".

1.15 Check-mark your occupation. If none of those in the list apply, check "other" and type it in.

1.17 Put your employer's information if you’re still working. If retried, please type "Retired" and put your home address.

If you’re a student, put your school name and address. For children, write parents' home address.

1.18 - 1.22 Personal information. Please fill out all fields.

1.23 Family members living at the address of the applicant. Please list at least one family member.  

1.24 Emergency contact. Please fill out all fields

1.25 The answer will be "USA".

2.1 Purpose of the journey. For example, if it’s for tourism, check Tourism, business, check Business, etc.

2.2 Intended number of entries. For U.S. passport holders please select "Multiple entries valid for 1 year from the date of issue".

For foreign nationals with legal residency status in the U.S. please select Single or Double entry and duration for 6 months.


All visa decisions will be made by the Consulate of the People’s Republic of China.

2.3 If you require express or rush service, please check "Yes".  Otherwise check "No".

2.4 Date of travel to China (YYYY/MM/DD).

2.5 How long do you intend to stay in days on your first visit, e.g., 7 days, 12 days, etc.

2.6 Date of your Itinerary YYYY/MM/DD till YYYY/MM/DD in sequence and the place with address and phone numbers in China.

2.7 The answer is "Self" (if the applicant is paying for the trip) or the company name (if the applicant is employed and company is paying for the trip).

2.8 For tourism, write the name of the hotel or the tour company in China with the full address and phone number.

For business, write the name and address of the inviting company in China. You will find this information on the letterhead of your invitation letter.

2.9 If it’s yes, write "YES", then answer the question. if no, write "NO".

2.10 If yes, put YES, and type in the countries you have visited.

3.1 - 3.5 you must check-mark those boxes.

3.6 If you wish to add more notes, add them. If not, just write "N/A".

3.7 If you need to add more information, add it.  If not, write "N/A".

3.8 Write "N/A".

Part 4 - Signature and date YYYY/MM/DD.

Part 5- If the application was filled out by someone other than the applicant, e.g., child, ONE of the parents will sign and fill it out by putting her or his information.

Fees for citizens of United States of America

Regular Service Consulate Fee $140 + Service Fee $100 - Duration to get the visa is 5-7 business days.

*Require a return shipping charge for FedEx service based on current rates

Copyright © 2019 Visa Supply LLC. All rights reserved.